The Lace House is an antebellum home located on the grounds of the Governor's Mansion Complex at 800 Richland Street in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a three story historic home of approximately 9,606 square feet. The House was built in 1854 and was purchased by the State of South Carolina in 1968. It became the official guest quarters for the South Carolina Governor's Mansion, housing overnight guests of the governor and providing extra space for official functions of the governor and his administration.
In keeping with the administration's belief in maximizing the value of state assets, the Lace House was reopened for use by the public for weddings, parties, lectures and other revenue generating functions. A modest interior refurbishment of the Lace House was completed in 2004 to accommodate the contemporary use of this beautiful historic home.
The gardens were renovated in 2008 under the direction of First Lady Jenny Sanford and the Governor’s Mansion Commission and Foundation to restore and enhance their existing beauty.